Thursday, August 16, 2007

Beware, another political post...

Hey it's the off-season of college basketball. Still. Sigh.

More idol worship. Everyone knows how I feel about German Prime Minister Angela Dorothea Merkel (swoon)...

And former National Economic Council Chairwoman under President Clinton, Dr. Laura D'Andrea Tyson (double swoon)...

So now I would like to introduce Ruth Maria Kelly, Secretary of State for Transportation under British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

Bio -

She went to The Queen's College, Oxford where she studied Politics and Economics, graduating in 1989, and then to the London School of Economics gaining a Master of Science in Economics in 1992.

Kelly is a practicing Roman Catholic, and a member of Opus Dei (yay!).




This of course makes me think "Where are African-Americans like this?" And I think this quote sums it up and also shows that society needs to change...

"People assume that even though I’m in the economics department, and the questions I ask are economics questions, that I’m a political scientist or sociologist or an administrator. I think it’s because there are so few Black female economists, and the ones they might have known aren’t doing research anymore. It probably takes people a while to get accustomed to seeing blacks and women teaching these courses or doing this kind of research."
- Dr. Lisa D. Cook



0 comments: